William Barnes Bibliography
- Orra, a Lapland Tale. A short poem. 8vo, pp. 28, with four woodcuts by the author. Published by I. Clark, Dorchester.
- Some Small Poems, and Poetical translations of Bion's Epitaph on Adonis, and some of the golden verses of Pythagoras
- Several Short Essays, signed "Dilettante," printed to in the Dorset County Chronicle; also several
- The Etymological Glossary, or Easy Expositor for the Use of Schools and non-Latinists, wherein the greater part of the English words of foreign derivation are so arranged that the learner is enabled to acquire the meaning of many at once. Published in Shaftesbury by J. Rutter ; London, by Whittaker, Teacher, and Arnot. 1829.
1831 to 1841
- Papers in the Gentleman's Magazine:
- On the English Language, pp501-3, June 1830
- Corruption of the English Language, pp393-6, November 1830
- On the civilization of the Spanish Celts, pp117-9, February 1831.
- Observations on the Belgae, Aquitani and Celtae, pp309-311, April 1831
- On English Derivatives, pp500-1, June 1831.
- On the Structure of Dictionaries. pp139, August 1831.
- Pronunciation of Latin. October 1831.
- Hieroglyphics. December 1831.
- Napper's Mite, Dorchester, with woodcut. May 1833.
- Silton Church, with woodcut. June 1833.
- Sturminster Newton Church. June 1833.
- The English Language. June 1833.
- Nailsea Church, Somerset. July 1833.
- Chelvey, Somerset. September 1833.
- Puncknowle Church, with woodcut. July 1835,
- On Roman Numerals. December 1837.
- On AEsop. June 1838.
- Some Etymologies. July 1838.
- On the so-called Kimmeridge Coal Money. Feb. 1839.
- Battle of Pen. February 1839.
- The Roman Amphitheatre, Dorchester. May 1839.
- The Hindoo Shasters. June 1839.
- The Phoenicians. August 1839.
- Hindoo Pooran and Sciences. September 1839.
- Hindoo Fakeers. January 1840.
- Dorset Dialect compared with Anglo-Saxon. January 1840.
- The Old " Judge's House," Dorchester, with wood cut. November 1840.
- Education in Words and Things. January 1841.
- Fielding's House at Stour, with woodcut. Feb. 1841.
- Goths and Teutons. May 1841.
- Laws of Case. May 1841.
- Papers in Hone's Year Book:
- A Catechism of Government in General, and of England in Particular. Bastable, Shaftesbury.
- The Mnemonic Manual.
- A Few Words on the Advantages of a more Common Adoption of the Mathematics as a Branch of Education. London : Whittaker and Co.
- A Mathematical Investigation of the principle of Hanging Doors, Gates, Swing Bridges, and other Heavy Bodies. Dorchester : Simmonds and Sydenham.
1843 to 1849
- Reviews of various books in magazines.
- Exercises in Practical Science, containing the Main Principles of Dynamics, Statics, Hydrostatics, and Hydrodynamics, with fourteen diagrams. Dorchester : Clark. Small 8vo.
- "Sabbath Days" : Six Sacred Songs. Words by W. Barnes, Music by F. W. Smith. London : Chappell, 50, New Bond Street.
- Poems in the Dorset Dialect, with a Dissertation on the Folk Speech, and a Glossary of Dorset Words. Printed by Clark, Dorchester ; published by J. Russell Smith, London. Price 10s. Second Edition printed by Maurice and Co., published by J. R. Smith in 1847. Third Edition printed by Simmonds, Dorchester. Fourth Edition published by J. Russell Smith in 1862. Fifth Edition by same in 1866.
- Outlines of Geography and Ethnography for Youth. Dorchester : Barclay, Cornhill. Price 3s. 6d.
1853 and 1854
- Papers in the Retrospective Review. Yol. I. Art. 4. and " Population and Emigration at the beginning of the Seventeenth Century " " Anecdota Literaria," pp. 97 and 201. " Extracts from the Diary of John Richards, Esq." Art. 11. "Pyrrhonism of Joseph Glanvill."
- Vol. II. (Feb.) Art 6. " Leland the Antiquary." (May) Art. 5. " Controversial Writers of Astrology." (Aug.) Art. 3. " Waterhouse and Fox on the Utility of Learning in the Church."
1861 to 1867
- Papers in Macmillan's Magazine:
- Articles in Fraser's Magazine
- Coote's Neglected Fact in English History. July 1864.
- A Guide to Dorchester. Published by Barclay, Dorchester.
- Paper on Dorset. Read before the British Archaeological Society at Dorchester. Published in their Transactions.
1863 to 1867
- Serial Articles in Ladies' Treasury to Christian Marriage. 1863.
- Prinking. 1866.
- The House. 1867.
- Paper on the "Farm Labourer," and Employment of Women and Children in Agriculture. Written for the Government Commission. Printed in the Blue Book, Appendix, Part II., to Second Report.
- On the Origin of the Hundred and Tithings of English Law. Read before the British Archaeological Association at Weymouth. Printed in their Transactions.
- Dorset Folk in the Leisure Hour.
- Some Slight Notes on Badbury Rings, pp38-39, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Eggardon and British Tribeship, pp40-46, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Notes on the Torque, pp47-48, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- A Study on the Bockley or Bockerley Dyke and others in Dorset, pp49-56, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Notes on the so called Roman Roads, pp69-80, Vol 5: Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club. 1884.
- Dorsetshire Folklore by John Symonds Udal with Fore-Say by the late William Barnes. Hertford. Stephen Austins and Son Ltd. 1922.
Futher works by and about William Barnes: view online
A catalogue of the works by and about William Barnes